Uranium City

    The history of Uranium City area dates back to the late 1930`s when uranium ore was first discovered in the area. It was not until 1952 that the town of Uranium City was established as a base for uranium mining in the Beaverlodge area. Operations at Saskatchewan’s first uranium mine began in May of 1953 and continued until June of 1982, by which time rising costs and failing ore grade made it unprofitable. Although Uranium City residents were familiar with the risks associated with a boom and bust economy, within a year following the closure of the mine, Uranium City changed from a resource town of almost 2,500 inhabitants to a Northern Settlement with approximately 150 residents 1. Uranium City continued to serve as the regional base for a number of services including education, health care, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) headquarters following the mine closure for a number of years. The hospital and public institutions closed in 1983, further reducing the population to approximately 80 to 100 full-time residents whom currently live or reside in the area 2.

    Today the northern settlement of Uranium City has a certified airport and infrastructure maintained by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways (MHI), an elementary school under the authority of Northern Lights School Division 113 (NLSD), a health clinic run by the Athabasca Health Authority (AHA), and a post office run by the community. Currently, a chairperson and town council represent the people of Uranium City.

1Bone, Robert M. 1998. Resource towns in the Mackenzie Basin, Cahiers de géographie du Québec, Vol. 42, no 116, p. 249-259.
2Canada North Environmental Services (CanNorth). 2011. Country Foods Study Uranium City, Saskatchewan. Year 1. Prepared for Cameco Corporation Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.